Thursday, August 2, 2012

Different Churches for Different People


I grew up in an Independent Fundamental Baptist Church. I was taught that our group of churches was the most honoring to God and that we followed the Bible the closest. Although we had our rules and guidelines, my church seemed to be fairly balanced. I learned a lot and owe them a debt of gratitude. The founding pastor was a BJU grad and we had BJU people come through there all the time and most of us who went to college went to BJU. There were some smaller colleges that some went to but that was not the norm at the time. When our church started its own college, I stayed in Arizona, otherwise I probably would have headed to South Carolina in 1985.

Years later, after being out of church for years, I held Tri-City as the epitome of what a church should be but when I tried to go back, I didn’t feel welcome. I decided to look elsewhere. Of course, like I was taught, I looked for a Baptist church. I showed up at a Conservative Baptist Church and even though I had been taught that churches should be independent, I enjoyed it there. It was different but close to the way I had been raised. The Sunday school teacher would have fit in well at an IFB church. I don’t hold that against him. He was/is a great guy and has a great family. God used that church greatly in my life.

As time has gone on, I’ve been a part of and visited in a number of churches, from Jack Hyles type churches to other extremely extreme IFB churches. In these churches I’ve seen where the members have some liberties of conscience and others that do as they are told. I’ve been in some dead churches and others that were livelier. Each church would have thought the other was wrong because of one thing or another.

Here is what I’ve come to realize. Different people need different kinds of churches. It’s not a one-size-fits-all. Some members need the pastor to tell them right from wrong and how to dress and what to listen to and what it should look like to be spiritual. It’s easier to be told the guidelines than to allow the Holy Spirit to do His job of working from inside out. On the other end of the spectrum, you have members who don’t want to change; they just want to enjoy church and the benefits it might bring.

A couple of years ago, when looking for another church, I found out that the Baptist church does not have the corner market on truth and they are not the only ones teaching and preaching the Bible. As heretical as that might sound to my Baptist friends, it’s true. A name on the church doesn’t always determine what’s going on inside. Non-denominational does not mean it’s liberal and not teaching the Bible. A church that’s part of an organized denominational structure can be a good thing and is actually more Scriptural than isolated, independent churches. Speaking in tongues and having a prayer language does not mean that they “have another spirit.” Some charismatic and Assembly of God churches love God and practice these things in accordance to God’s Word, in spite of what we were taught in our Baptist circles.

What I’m suggesting is that you don’t assume something about a church just based on its name. If you’re looking for a church, visit it. Look for people who love each other and love God. That’s a true sign of a body of believers, not the way they’re dressed, not the music they’re playing, not “whatever you can think of.” Do they go out of their way to show God’s love and kindness, not only to each other, but to the world around them? If so, that’s the church you should join.

Don’t let a name or denomination stop you from finding a body of Christ who love Him. Our world is small enough without isolating ourselves and thinking that we’re the only people who a corner on the Truth. There are different churches for different people and even though they might believe something differently than you, it doesn’t mean that they are wrong, it could be you.

No comments:

Post a Comment