Monday, July 9, 2012

Prayer and Fasting (final remarks)


Fasting does not have to go with prayer and I only fast occasionally. How you do it is up to you. You could choose not to eat or drink a particular item. You’d also need to chose how long, whether one meal, a day, a week or longer. It’s really up to you and what your body can handle physically and/or the prayer on your heart. When I fast I’ll choose how long it’s going to be and I don’t eat food but I allow myself to drink anything I want. Typically, I’ll limit my drinking to juice and water to maintain some sort of nutrition. On a side note, this is not a diet. Although I have hoped that a byproduct of me not eating would be losing weight, it doesn’t happen. 

I told my two biggest stories of answers to prayer and fasting although I’m sure that there have been others. In the fall of ’95 I had moved back to Pensacola, FL three months earlier and before I started my first year as a college student I spent five days fasting. I’m not sure the specifics of my prayer to God but I felt it necessary as I was starting a new chapter in my life.

There have been days here and there where I would take one to three days in prayer. What I’ve also found interesting is that after I’ve stopped eating for a few days it’s sometimes actually hard to start up again. You have to start fixing food and you haven’t had dirty dishes for a while. Of course, this is different when kids are around because you shouldn’t make them go without food.

The last time I fasted was for Tina during the trial last year. I had determined that I would not eat from the day her trial started until there was a verdict. My prayer was for her, and all those associated with convicting Ernie of rape. You might imagine that I was very glad the verdict came in Friday night and not postponed until Monday. Did my prayers bring a guilty verdict? No, he was guilty and he would have been found that way whether I prayed or not but my prayer was for strength for Tina. I knew that it was going to be a rough, emotional week for her and since I needed to stay home with the kids while she was in NH, I was able to be with her in spirit by praying for her.

If you have never fasted, I would challenge you to try it. Try it for a meal or for a day. The first time I was challenged to do it I was told that a typical fast is three days but I never could have done that the first time. I challenge you to do it because it’s good for you to have more of a focus in your prayer. Pick a purpose for your fasting. Choose the length of time you want to focus on that purpose. It’s not a magic trick and it’s not going to force God to do something for you. Prayer and fasting is for you. It changes you, not God. Allow yourself to be changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment