Monday, June 11, 2012

Lesson - Don't Assume the Question

This morning, as usual, two of the kids were up before 6am. Haydn was extra sweet to Aria and came up and asked her how she was feeling about Friday and gave her a sweet hug. He asked her what smell she wanted for Friday when they gave her the special air to sleep. They were talking about root beer and other flavors.

About 10 minutes later, Haydn and Aria are on the couch talking and I'm trying to put my lunch together to leave and Haydn goes, "Can I tell Aria what she can have?" I'm thinking their still talking about smells for the special air and I said, "If she wants you to." He said, "Really?" I said, "Yes, if it's ok with Aria." Then I walk by and Aria goes, "I'm getting a DSI?" I said, "Haydn, what did you tell her?"

I pulled him aside and gave him the riot act about not spilling secrets. I tried to play it off to Aria that Haydn was going to let her use his DSI while she's in the hospital.

In reality, if I had listened to the question, I could have stopped the leakage of a secret. So, I am partly to blame although my son should have known not to share this secret. I also did not know he knew the secret because we didn't tell him about the DSI for Aria. We're replacing the one that got lost a couple of months ago because we got a real good deal on it and we thought with her being in the hospital it would be a nice treat for her.

There is actually another lesson to be learned. If you don't want one of the kids to know something, don't tell any of the kids because it will eventually make it to all the kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment