Saturday, May 12, 2012

LESSONS LEARNED THROUGH GAMES (part 1)


#1 – Be a Graceful Loser
Chess has always been a favorite game of mine. I remember when I was seven years old and on vacation visiting one of my aunts and my grandma and dad sitting me down to teach me the game of Chess. That was great. At that same house I remember discovering tomato worms in the garden of the back yard but that’s a whole ‘nother story. 

Over the years my dad and I would play. On average we would play a game about every six months. I remember one time getting frustrated and crying that I couldn’t win. My dad told me not to come back to play him chess until I was able to lose without crying. It was about a year later when I came back to play him chess. He wasn’t going to take it easy on me. I had to earn the right to beat him. He was not just going to let me win to make me feel good.

As a child, there was only two times that I beat my dad and I can’t tell you how happy I felt. To be honest, my dad was falling asleep between moves and he didn’t have much concentration but it still felt good to win.

#2 – Challenge Yourself
I have found that one of the best ways to get better at a game is to play someone who is better than you. I realized this at the end of the summer of 1985. I had hurt myself during the summer while at work and I was laid up for about a month. I gave my mom some money and asked her to buy me a computer chess board. I must have played a hundred games on that thing and only won 6. I still have that chess board and until a year ago couldn’t find a new one that I liked as much. Playing that chess board taught me a lot about chess and strategy and I realized that just because I couldn’t beat the game it helped me improve my game because it challenged me. It’s hard to improve if you’re not challenged. 

What happened at the end of the summer of ’85 is that I played my dad a game of chess and beat him and the only piece taken off the board was the one that was taken when I put him in checkmate. That was a great day for me because it gave me a sense of accomplishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment