Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Silence is Golden


Sometimes it’s hard to be quiet. It’s even harder when you’ve done nothing wrong and they attack your character and challenge your motives even when you’ve done everything to be a person with character and integrity and have even explained your motives. 

In the past, and I’m sure it will happen in the future, I’ve defended my honor and my wife’s honor when we’ve been attacked but there comes a time when you realize they aren’t listening, understanding, or believe you are lying. It’s tempting to keep defending yourself but there comes a time when you have to back off and realize that they’ll never understand or accept the truth.

Every once in a while I’ll see a poke at my character or a false statement about past events and our motivations and it’s hard not to speak up. I was tempted recently to respond but decided that Silence is Golden and that I and others have explained enough and I should just leave it alone. It seemed the prudent thing to do.

Proverbs 12:16
The vexation of a fool is known at once, but the prudent ignores an insult.
Proverbs 17:28
Even a fool who keeps silent is considered wise; when he closes his lips, he is deemed intelligent.
Proverbs 18:2
A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment