Monday, May 28, 2012

Honor and Respect - A Lesson Taught to my son

Today's Memorial Day. A day I spend more time thinking my past, my country's past, our current history, and the future of America and remember all the people past and present who have made our country what it is. One of the biggest things I am proud of was that I spent 5 years in the Marine Corps and served during Desert Storms and I'm proud that I was able to serve my country as a Marine.

I tried to teach my son a lesson yesterday because his actions showed he did not understand. I know he's seven and was trying to be funny but that was no excuse for his actions and showed me that I have not helped him understand.

While at church yesterday, the church played a moving video regarding soldiers and the honor and respect that we should have for those past and current and ended with the line, "All gave some, Some gave ALL." Then the church had those of use who have served to stand up. While I and others were standing, the church gave us a round of applause. My son starts patting me on my lower back and then he starts patting me on my rear-end. I sit down, turn around, give him a chewing out, and then didn't let him leave for children's service.

I let him go after a while and I thought instead of punishing him I should give him a visual aid that might drive home what some soldiers go through for our country. So this is what I did.

When we got home, I pulled out the movie, Saving Private Ryan, and had him watch the first thirty minutes. I debated on this being appropriate for his age and I think it would have if I'd let him watch the whole movie. When the family went through Arlington National Cemetery, I explained the significance of it. After the storming of the beach scene, I stopped the movie and talked to him more about Honor and Respect, to me as his father, to soldiers, and to this country.

I may have scared him from being a soldier. He said a couple times he didn't want to be in the Army after he saw the soldiers storming the beach but I will teach him to respect and honor our soldiers even if he never becomes one. Although, I do hope he'll one day become a part of The Few, The Proud, The Marines, or any other branch of the military.

1 comment: